Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Flower Container

This "Flower Containter" was made by Kitaoji Rosanjin in the mid-1900's. It was lent to the Denver Art Museum by John and Celeste Fleming in 1972. Rosanjin lived from 1883-1959. I was attracted to this piece originally because of it's rough, less refined look. I have had an attraction to Japanese ware for some years now, and it was nice to see this example of Rosanjin's work. Since my connection with ceramics that is very related to my history as a cook, I was intrigued to say the least when I heard of his history. Rosangin was an accomplished chef, and a calligrapher when he was young. In 1923 an earthquake ddestroyed his collection of antique wares in his third restaurant, Hoshigoaka, in Tokyo. He began working with clay this year, with the intention of replacing the broken pieces. This became a lifetime passion for Rosangin. The flower container I looked at was a stoneware piece which was glazed and fired using an older method, possibly in an anagama kiln. The form had an imperfect, yet perfect feel. The vase had a somewhat sloppy glaze application, rough incise marks, and a lip and foot which matched in that they were both finished in a quick manner. I could see rib marks on in the fired clay, clearly exhibiting the methods used. Rosanjin was largely self-taught, but he surely looked closely at other Japanese work from his day as well as from the past. the glaze used dripped all the way down to the bottom of the piece - even to form (accidental?) feet. The feeling I get when I look at this piece is a free feeling. The form and the glaze being imperfect mimic something from nature which is perfectly imperfect. This vessel radiates organic inspiration; bare clay, iron spots, etc. The way in which the glaze runs looks like the way water can stain stone with time. All of these things I could bring into my work, but I find it hard because I am currently trying to clean up my forms and glazing techniques. I could see the intention of the artist, which was to make fine ceramic vessels. I wish I could see flowers in the container.

No comments: